The Galleon, c. 1923
Titled on label to reverse
Inlaid marquetry Panel, designed by Brangwyn, made by the Rowley Gallery
28 X 30 in. (71.1 x 76.2 cm)
(39" high by 40 3/4" wide?)
Provenance: The Fortunoff collection
Literature; International Studio, February 1923, p.127.
The Rowley Gallery was established in 1898 at 6 High Road, Silver Street, Kensington In 1909 Silver Street was renamed, and although remaining in the same premises, the new address became 140 Church Street. Founded by Albert James Rowley and his wife Emma, as a small business specialising in picture framing, mounting, restoration, carving, gilding and exhibitions of paintings the Gallery also produced inlaid wood panels and furniture. Designs for panels were at first adapted from paintings by artists such as Millais, Whistler and Lord Leighton, but then A J Rowley began to commission artists to make designs specifically for wood panels. Brangwyn contributed numerous designs. Production numbers were fairly small. An example of The Galleon is in Cecil Higgins Art Gallery.
Rowley provided 12 silver leafed gesso panels for Brangwyn to paint, for the Canadian Pacific liner The Empress of Britain in 1938.