Liss Llewellyn Fine Art - 20th Century British Art

GL Grandy

 SOLD
 
Sextons at Cara Quarantina Faenza Italy, Feb.28 1945
Unmounted (ref: 4570)

Signed and dated, inscribed with title to reverse

Watercolour, 7 5/8 x 10 3/4 in. (19.5 x 27.2 cm.)


 


The 25pdr SP, tracked, Sexton was a self-propelled artillery vehicle of World War II, based on an American tank hull design, built by Canada for the British Army, and associated Commonwealth forces, and some of the other Allies.  As a Self- Propelled artillery, tecnically Sextons are not ‘tanks’.
The Sexton  was developed to give the British Army a mobile artillery gun using their Ordnance QF 25 pounder gun-howitzer. From 1943 it replaced the US built M7 Priest (US 105 mm guns on a M3 Lee tank chassis); these had replaced the British Bishop (25 pdr on Valentine tank chassis) which had been improvised in 1942.
The Royal Armouries at Fort Nelson have a running example of a Sexton which they demonstrate.







Sexton in action

We are grateful to David Willey of The Tank Museum, Dorset, for assistance.